This diagram is created through the sankeymatic.com web site and it aims to explain how is the rate of unemployment calculated in Kosovo. The data are presented in this diagram come from from the Kosovo Agency of Statistics Labour Force Survey Q3 and can be downloaded here.
According to this diagram it can be seen that according to Labour Force Survey Q3 2018 the number of working-age persons in Kosovo was 1,195,336. Out of this number, only 501,731 are part of the workforce or re considered active labor force, while 693,605 persons are inactive persons, thus outside the labor market. These are the definitions of these categories according to KAS:
1. Employed: persons who during the reference week did any work for pay, profit or family gain, in cash or in kind, or who were temporarily absent in their work.
2. Unemployed: persons who during the reference week:
– Were without work, i.e. they were not in paid employment or self- employed;
– Were currently available for work, i.e. they were willing to start paying job or self- employment within two weeks; and
– Seeking work, i.e. they had taken specific steps during the past four weeks in search of paid employment or self-employment.
3. Inactive persons: persons who during the reference period were neither employed nor unemployed
As a result, the level of unemployment in Kosovo during Q3 2018 was 30.7%. This percentage results if we divide the number of unemployed persons (154,181) with the number of people in the labour force (501,731).